For the past 13 years, Austin Parks Foundation (APF) has been the presenter of ACL Fest, putting $30 million back into Austin’s parks. This year, APF will be enhancing its presence at the Festival as the presenting sponsor of the Rock & Recycle Program. APF will make the festival greener by encouraging recycling. For every participant in the Rock & Recycle program and the brand-new Recycling Tour, APF will allocate $5 to their Recycling in Parks initiative.
The Rock & Recycle Program encourages Festival attendees to pick up a bag of recyclables from the grounds in exchange for a specially designed ACL Fest line-up tee. Participants will be entered to win a Fairdale bicycle each weekend, and there will be a drawing for a pair of 2019 ACL Fest tickets every night.
APF’s Mission: People Plus Parks
Austin Parks Foundation partners with our community to enhance people’s lives by making our public parks, trails and green spaces better through volunteerism, innovative programming, advocacy and financial support.
Austin Parks Foundation (APF) is a non-profit organization devoted to building public-private partnerships that develop and maintain parks, trails and open space in Austin and Travis County. Founded 25 years ago, APF hosts volunteer workdays and park activation events, provides resources for Adopt-A-Park leaders throughout the city, and offers training and education programs. Learn more about our work by exploring this site!
Volunteering for APF at Rock & Recycle
You can get involved with APF at this year’s Festival by volunteering at the Rock & Recycle Program to help promote the APF mission.
- Spend about 4 hours interacting with fans, explaining the Rock & Recycle program, the brand-new Recycling Tour, APF’s mission and more.
- As a thank you to Volunteers for supporting APF’s mission, spend the rest of the day enjoying the Festival.
- All Rock & Recycle roles help Austin Parks Foundation to support Austin’s parks, trails and green spaces.
Note: All volunteers must comply with these policies in their role representing APF
- Volunteer applicants will be automatically enrolled in the Austin Parks Foundation mailing list to receive updates from the organization.
- Volunteers must be at least 18 years old as of October 4, 2018.
- Volunteer roles include no monetary compensation.
- Volunteers at ACL must reside in the Austin metropolitan area.
- Volunteers must supply their own transportation to the event.
- A volunteer must complete the assignment in a satisfactory manner (i.e., reporting on time for all shifts, staying the entire shift, wearing assigned volunteer identification during shifts, and respecting other volunteers, staff, performers and patrons of the festival).
- Use of alcohol or controlled substances before or while on duty is strictly prohibited. No exceptions. Violators will be subject to immediate dismissal from the volunteer program. Smoking on shift is also prohibited.
- Missing assigned shifts (or not completing a shift) will jeopardize participation as a volunteer in the future. Note: Every selected volunteer will be given a chance to decline their assignment prior to the event.
- All volunteers must wear the Austin Parks Foundation volunteer t-shirt while on shift during the festival.
- All volunteers understand that they are representatives of Austin Parks Foundation and must abide by all rules and regulations outlined by the host venue while supporting APF.
- Volunteers will be asked to be personable, complete a task assigned by an APF representative, and promote the Rock & Recycle program.
- Selected volunteers must sign an online release prior to reporting in for their first shift.
- Event is rain or shine.
- Failure to perform duties as expected/required may result in dismissal from the volunteer program.
All volunteers earn free entry into the festival by completing an assigned shift! Volunteers receive a unique volunteer t-shirt to wear while on shift and to keep as a memento of their contribution to Austin Parks Foundation.
- Availability: A typical shift is about 4 hours each day during the festival show days: 10/5 -10/7 and 10/12 – 10/14
- Shift Times: Each team usually has a morning, afternoon, and evening shift. Please choose shift times carefully.
- Positions are front-of-house roles. There are no backstage, VIP, medical, or production positions for APF Volunteers.
- Volunteer Headquarters
- Main Rock & Recycle (Rock & Recycle HQ, Recycling Tour, and Satellite Rock & Recycle Stations)
All Volunteers understand that they are representatives of APF and must abide by all rules and regulations outlined by the host venue while supporting APF. All volunteers are expected to complete the tasks designated to them by an APF representative. Team members must also be able to direct patrons to the Rock & Recycle booths and promote the program.
HQ is the heart of the volunteer program! As an APF volunteer registrar, the goal is to greet volunteers, check id’s, and use an online program to verify that each volunteer has checked in for their shift and/or add any brief notes as needed. The goal is to accurately register volunteers and quickly get them checked in and on their way!
Other duties include t-shirt distribution, answering general questions, keeping the HQ area clean and organized, replenishing supplies, etc. There could be some light lifting.
We need outgoing candidates who are friendly and welcoming to all volunteers and, because of registration duties, must also be detail-oriented, have the ability to quickly learn the online registration process, remain professional, and be able to focus on the task at hand. Must exude a positive spirit to help welcome, interact with, and motivate all volunteers—both about their team role and acting as advocates for APF and the Rock & Recycle program.
The backup team is the “go to” crew, stationed in volunteer HQ. Throughout the festival, this team helps wherever needed to ensure a positive patron experience and fill in on any of the other Rock & Recycle teams: from distributing line-up tees to Rock & Recycle participants, to helping fans enter to win prizes at the Recycling Tour—this team does it all! Requires a friendly, positive attitude and a willingness to help wherever needed. Could require light lifting. It is imperative that all individuals in these positions be capable of answering general questions about APF’s mission as well as providing information on all aspects for APF and the Rock & Recycle program.
Main Rock & Recycle Team
The Main Rock & Recycle Team will be assigned to various areas of Rock & Recycle HQ, as well as the satellite Rock & Recycle stations once on-site. Possible duties include:
- Rock & Recycle Program HQ: Volunteers will hand out bags to participants, explain the program, receive and store filled bags, assist fans with prize check-in kiosks, and help distribute Rock & Recycle t-shirts.
- Rock & Recycle East and West: Satellite Rock & Recycle volunteers will distribute bags, explain the program, and receive filled bags at one of two satellite Rock & Recycle stations. These volunteers will also hand out prize redemption tokens to be used at R&R HQ at the prize redemption kiosks.
- Recycling Tour: Brand new this year, the Recycling Tour incorporates 12 artist-designed recycling bins throughout the festival. Recycling Tour volunteers will explain the Recycling Tour passport to fans, and assist them with prize check in when they return
- Be Sure to read through the info above first!
- Join our e-news list to be notified when the 2018 volunteer application opens.
APF Leads will review all applications and identify and assign the best candidates for available duties on-site. All Volunteers will be required to sign a Release prior to their first shift.